10.11.03

I cannot locate my pants
Fortunately, I own a trenchcoat.

...

This morning was a good morning, seeing's how I got my registration info for next semester signed, and my physics professor neglected to show up for class. Nothing particularly impressive if you're not me, but I get what I can take.

Brother Assassin is some of the only psuedo-realistic science fiction I've ever read that takes time travel seriously. Apparently some local disruptions in spacetime make time travel possible in a particular system, meaning that, due to an accident with the first colony ship, humans actually landed some twenty thousand years before they arrived. So everybody was happy for awhile, until the berserkers arrived and reduced the surface of the planet to cinders. The surviving population lives in caverns, watching the past with probes hovering just outside reality, waiting for the berserkers to attack the past to destroy the future. When the berserker do attack, the humans use probability generators to a) place nuclear weapons at the same location and time as the berserker's arrival point or b) send remote-controlled infantry to fight the berserkers on the ground. It's pretty cool stuff, considering it was written in an age where you really didn't have to think this hard about SF.