23.11.03

I can't get no-o...satisfaction...
Earth and Beyond works, if you consider over 2 seconds of lag (on average) working. Still, I'm up to level 15 (nearly 17) and goin' strong. Needless to say, I look forward to getting my computer home for Thanksgiving break. I joined a clan, the Void Rangers, and they seem like a cool bunch. The usual suspects have joined up as well.

The EGR110 freshman design competition was yesterday. My group didn't do as well as we were planning, but better than we were expecting considering some of the last minute problems that developed. We scored 800/4000 points, which is better than it sounds, especially considering that we did it in 24 seconds. One of my group's members has a roommate who's a physics major already in 400-level math classes, and he helped us out some. I am of the opinion that all of our theorizing actually hurt us in the long run because we never really took chances, but oh well. This only strengthens my realization that I really don't want to be an engineer.

Chanur's Legacy is quite a good book, although it's hard to appreciate some of its finer points without having read the first four book in the Chanur Saga. The main character has sort of a love/hate relationship with the majority of her species, since they are an artificially advanced culture and therefore never gradually adapted to high-technology as humans have. Their government is still feudal, and quite matriarchal to the point of extreme gender separation (males are kicked out of the home at puberty, only allowed to return if they can kill their fathers in combat and take over the clan). It's pretty interesting to see it all work out. I highly recommend the Chanur Saga to anybody, despite CJ Cherryh's sometimes obscure writing style and occasionally blatant political soapboxing.