30.11.03

It leaves a warm taste in my mouth
For the first time in four years, I have played Star Wars using the d6 system. And it was good. d20 is an extremely good system, overall. Its rules are comprehensive, and easy to learn. But, no matter how hard I tried, it just isn't Star Wars. I immediately fell back into the feeling of the movies and novels when playing d6. I can't quite explain it, but it was wonderful.

The d6 source material is worlds beyond d20, as well. It's a little-known fact that a lot of the d6 sourcebooks came out before the new (Bantam-published) novels did, starting with Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. That means, a lot of Star Wars authors drew material, ideas, and settings from RPG material. Not in huge ways, of course, but a lot of the design for Imperial Intelligence, for instance, or the Tarkin Doctrine came straight of of Bill Smith, Peter Schweighofer, and Bill Slavicsek's brainstorm sessions. I wouldn't quite go so far as to say that West End Games' Star Wars RPG made Star Wars so cool, but I wouldn't totally dismiss the notion, either.

Then we played some d20, and the contrast smacked me in the face. With d20, you need to calculate skill bonuses, attack bonuses, saves, defense, vitality point, and various etc. constantly, taking feats, special abilities, and each of your class bonuses into account. Not so with d6. With d6, the dice you roll is your ability plus your skill, plus or minus any bonuses or penalties, and then beat the total. All of the d20 stuff I mentioned is taken care in that same manner. It's that easy. Plus, if you know how to create characters, it takes all of 5 minutes. The concept literally takes longer than the execution. Take that, d20.