2.12.03

Or, why I hate mass transit
I went to another book-signing/seminar thing at the downtown Borders. This one was sort of a benefit for the Endeavor awards, which is an award given to the best SF/fantasy authors in the northwest. In attendence were Ursula le Guin, Steve Barnes, Steve Perry, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and Tananarive Due. It was the usual deal, where people would ask their questions, and the authors would try to answer. The questions were all the usual fare, stuff like "how do you know an idea's ready to be written?" and "how do you know when a story's done?" The best aspect of this whole thing, though, was the fact that there were five authors up there, all of them pretty respectable. It's always food for thought. Though, man, Steve Barnes gives speeches. All of the authors were coherent, but Barnes was like an orater. Tananarive Due, his wife, was teasing him about it. It was funny.

The weird thing was, as Ursula le Guin and Steve Barnes were sitting down, I was struck by this huge feeling of deja vu. It was like I had seen them somewhere, live, before, and I'm pretty sure I never have. It was just an odd, nagging feeling. Can't explain. The sad thing is, there were many people there who knew this authors personally, having attended so many of their conventions and things. They were all total fanboys and groupies, which is kind of sad considering I was half the average age of those attending. The sad thing is, I could even imagine myself sitting there 20 years from now, in the same sort of way. Hopefully, though, I'll be on the other side of the table 20 years from now, if all goes as planned.

I bought on of Steve Perry's books, The Man Who Never Missed. I'm reading it now, but it's not quite 200 pages, so I'll probably have it finished by the end of the week, and I can continue with Ring. It's literally about a man who never misses. He's single-handedly rebelling against the military, and he's disabled 2373 people with 2380 rounds. No joke. Even better, he hasn't killed any of them, just gifted them with a 6-month vacation to the sick ward.

I swear I did not attempt to fix this test at all, but the answer's still really cool:


Which PA character are you?