14.7.04

Exchange Server Blues


Think Microsoft Exchange is your one-stop answer for a fully-integrated email, scheduling, and contact database solution? You would be wrong, my friend. Microsoft Exchange is not merely a popular server application, it is also a Dante-esque hell full of torments for the arrogant and lustful. Of course, in this case "sin" means forgetting to restart a small pile of useless processes such as "NSPI.exe" on the domain controller, and your eternal punishment is spending hours and hours on the phone or internet with the useless syncophants at MS tech support. Anybody who wants to guess what I've been doing for the past couple of days, go right ahead.


It's sad that when I finish talking about work and I can't think of a single thing I've done over the past couple of days that's both even slightly interesting and doesn't involve work or computers or anything. I'm glad that I'm just doing this to pay for school.

I'm trying for the third time to play through Arcanum. The game's setting of magic vs. technology in a Victorian age world is really cool, the character system for creation and utilization is very good, but the game is hard. Death is never far away. Still, the game is almost like a more dynamic version of Morrowind what with the tons of side-quests and huge world. Except people actually go to bed at night.

The family is starting to gear up for the big vacation to Disneyland next week. Much as I like the place, I'll just be glad to get out of my routine for awhile.