23.3.04

Explorer reporting
I used to really, really dislike StarCraft. Though I still prefer the mad old-school stylings of Westwood's Command & Conquer series, I have to admit that my appreciation for Blizzard's magnus opus has been steadily increasing the more that I play it. For one thing, I no longer suck, even as the Terrans. Quite the opposite, in fact; I find that the combination of seige tanks, goliaths, valkyries, and science vessels is a beautiful, beautiful thing, especially when working the famous bunker crawl on the unsuspecting scum of the universe.

I picked up Battlefield: Vietnam as the MGLan on Saturday. The LAN itself was cool, even though (or perhaps, especially because) I wasn't a part of the Counterstrike tournament that was the main event. Instead, I just hung out, talked, and owned a couple of people at a game of Homeworld that we started on the side.

Back to my point. BFV, though a good game, and superior in general to Battlefield 1942, feels like an extremely professional mod more than an entirely new game. Granted, the music and sound is awesome, and some of the new stuff is really cool (like a capture timer for control points - finally), but overall I feel like I'm playing the same game with new clothes. I think I'll stick with Desert Combat for now.