5.4.04

Strike Attack!
Yeah, it's been awhile. I'm gonna try to post at least three times a week from now on; this "whenver-I-feel-like-it" timing just isn't working out for me.

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is an awesome, awesome game, both single and multiplayer. Solo gaming hasn't really changed a whole lot from the original, with the exception of things like half split jumps, SWAT turns, and whistling. Multiplayer, though, is elysium. Even though it's only 2 v 2, the extreme detail of the maps and the myriad special abilities of both spy and mercenary make every game a tension-filled adrenaline rush that normal deathmatch can't even touch. I've played in some 4 player LAN matches, which is doubly awesome. The game is so worth the $39.99 it sickens me.

Since Andy's Werewolf game has sort of run its course, I think I'm gonna start up my own campaign using the SpyCraft rules in my own setting. I've had those books for over a year, and I really want to get around to using them at some point. Buying $70 worth of gaming material and never using it is not cool, not at all. Even though SpyCraft is d20, and most of you know my ambivalence toward that system has been fairly pronounced recently. Still, the game manages to simultaneously promote the ambience of James Bond, Tom Clancy, and Deus Ex, combining them together into a complete-feeling whole. I look forward to giving it a try.

Last weekend was "Weekend on the Bluff," where the helpless and blase' pre-freshmen come to check out campus, and spend the night in their host dorm (a duty I scarcely remember shrugging off, I think I was playing StarCraft). Though I have little to say about the pre-frosh, I do think it's downright hilarious how badly our school misrepresented itself when they were here. Saturday was nice and warm, so there were people out on the quad playing football and frisbee, lots of girls were out sunbathing, we had a concert with a picnic dinner, and things like that. You never see stuff like that during the average week here. Even though my attitude about this place has gotten a lot better these past few weeks, its still quite obvious to me that our school is never that fun.